Mamma's Green Chile Chicken Casserole - Mamma Stevenson
"Easy to make, great as leftovers, low fat as well! What else could you ask for? Honestly, there are a thousand versions of this recipe and we suspect they're all good. We're partial to this one!" - the Stevensons.
Yield 12 servings (serving size: about 3/4 cup)
* 1 1/3 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
* 1 cup canned diced green chiles, drained
* 1 cup chopped onion
* 1 cup fat-free sour cream
* 3/4 teaspoon salt
* 1 tablespoon ground cumin
* 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
* 2 (10 1/2-ounce) cans condensed 98% fat-free cream of chicken soup, undiluted (such as Campbell's)
* 3 garlic cloves, minced
* 3/4 cup cilantro (optional)
* Cooking spray
* 24 (6-inch) corn tortillas (whole wheat tortillas work nicely, as well)
* 4 or 5 cups chopped or shredded cooked chicken breast (about 1 pound)
* 2 cups (8 ounces) finely shredded sharp cheddar cheese
For more punch add:
* extra cup of canned diced green chiles or
* 1/4 cup diced or chopped jalapeños or
* dash of cayenne pepper
Preheat oven to 350°.
Combine the first 10 ingredients in a large saucepan, stirring with a whisk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
Spread 1 cup soup mixture in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange 6 tortillas over the soup mixture, and top with 1 cup chicken and 1/2 cup cheese. Repeat layers, ending with the cheese. Spread remaining soup mixture over cheese. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until bubbly.
Add your favorite salsa to taste on individual portions.